HEPP’S Baked Avocado Fries
We have been experimenting with avocado fries for a few years and think I we finally nailed it! Before we were making the mistake of cutting the slices to thin, and cooking them in oil never seemed to give us what we were looking for. With this recipe the ground rice chex seemed to give them a little more structure and baking them is definitely the way to go, if you have a wire rack use that on top of baking sheet. Dipping sauces, on right is a Yogurt Cilantro/Lime sauce. On left a Sriracha sauce. Find those recipes under sauces.
- 2 ripe but firm avocados, pits removed
- 1/3 cup Flour or gluten free flour substitute
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 2-3 cups Panko crumbs or Rice Chex ground up as gluten free substitute.
- Pinch of chili powder- to taste
- Pinch of garlic powder- to taste
- 1 teaspoon HEPP’S Himalayan Pink Sea Salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425°F, and line a baking sheet with foil, if you have a wire back rack place that on top of baking sheet.
- Slice the avocados in half, and carefully remove the pit. Cut each half into three or four slices, and set them aside.
- You’ll need three small bowls for the dipping stations. In the first, combine the flour or gluten free flour and half the seasonings. In the second, combine the beaten egg. In the third, combine the panko chips or ground Rice Chex and the other half of the seasonings.
- Dip the avocado slices into the flour, then the eggs, then the Panko/ Rice Chex. Lay them on the baking sheet or on top of wire rack. When they’re all dipped, bake the avocado fries for 10 to 12 minutes, then flip and bake another 2 to 4 minutes. They’re best enjoyed while they’re fresh!
*Tip: To select avocados that aren’t overripe, flick off the stem. If it’s white / green underneath, you still have time before it’s mushy and brown. If it’s brown, avoid.
Alternatives: Finish with HEPP’S Ghost Pepper Sea Salt to add a touch of spice, Lemon Sea Salt to give a little lemon zing or a 7- Fire or mesquite smoked salt to add a earthy smoked flavor.